Wednesday, April 23, 2008

St. George -- A Boy's Feast Day!

I have to thank Jessica for inviting me to be a part of this terrific idea. I'm honored to be a part of these very inspiring women.

I had a few additional thoughts about this feast of St. George. Last year we missed celebrating this feast, but I can't let it pass without doing a little something to honor this soldier-saint. My 4 year old son is a typical boy, playing knights and soldiers to his heart's content.

Ann Ball's Catholic Traditions in Cooking goes away from the English tradition and presents Gazpacho and Moros y Christianos, Spanish dishes, to celebrate the day freed from the Moors.

Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding is very common on this day in England. But any good English recipe, like fish and chips or shepherd's pie would be good.

There is also a Melachrino Cake from Greece served on this day. Ann Ball has a simpler recipe than Cooking With the Saints.

I was continuing the idea of a dragon theme. Matilda's dragon cake is just so awesome, but for some other fun, how about Taco Dip Dragon? I also found a Dragon's Breath Dip, but that isn't as colorful. Now how about a Red Dragon Pie instead of Shepherd for this day?

As for me, I served my roast beef yesterday. I'm going to incorporate skewers or toothpicks in my meal, either with the meat or the fruit for dessert, so we can mimic St. George slaying the dragon. I wish I knew of a source for those little swords that are used for cocktail drinks, as there are quite a few feasts we could use those!

St. George, pray for us!

Photo from Taste of Home Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for all these wonderful ideas Jenn!! I just LOVE the Taco Dip Dragon!!

    I just ordered Ann Ball's Catholic Traditions, and I can't wait for it to arrive! I do have Cooking with the Saints, and I love all the information, but some times the recipes are just a little too complex for me. :)

    Happy St. George's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ideas! Thank you! We are also doing the HOT theme with chili for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jessica! I have WAY too many cookbooks! Maybe I should go to confession?

    Trina -- neat idea. Work the flames or HEAT into the meal! I like it! We don't do spicy, here, though. But Flambe, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can get those swords at a party store, in the drinks section. just ask!

    ReplyDelete