Friday, June 19, 2009

Minestrone Soup

June 21st is the feast of St. Aloysius Gonzaga. Catholic Culture suggests "instead of cooking a special treat for this day, perhaps try a light dinner or lunch, maybe a simple soup and bread to imitate this fasting saint. We have highlighted a vegetable soup, or minestrone from Italy, but pick your favorite to serve." Minestrone soup is also a great dish to serve for the feast on St. Joseph!


My Favorite Minestrone
Modified from a recipe from my dear friend Kristin

1 ½ pounds Ground Beef – pre-cooked
1 can Kidney Beans
1 can Black Beans
1 can Garbanzo Beans
1 can Pinto Beans
1 can Diced Tomatoes
1 can Stewed Tomatoes
¼ cup Dry Lentils
2 cloves Pressed Garlic
1 Onion, diced
2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
8 cups Vegetable or Beef Broth
¾ cup Barley
1 cup celery diced
1 cup carrots, diced
8 oz small pasta shells

Combine everything but pasta. Simmer on stove for 1 hour. Add Pasta and continue simmering till cooked. Top with grated cheese and croûtons.

The last time I made it (shown in pictures) I served it with rolls since I was out of croûtons. However, for the feast of St. Joseph, you could top the Minestrone with crushed croûtons. The croûtons (breadcrumbs) symbolize the sawdust that would have covered St. Joseph's floor.

Serves 10+ (This soup makes ALOT. It was enough for 2 meals for my family, and I have big eaters--2 bowls each easily. Since it makes so much, it's great for company as well!)

Enjoy! Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy - and St. Aloysius Gonzaga has a special place in my heart so this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think this would freeze well if one put some aside to freeze before adding the noodles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think so, but I've never frozen any before....

      Delete
  3. Making this recipe tonight to celebrate St.Joseph and thinking of you! Love, Trina M.

    ReplyDelete