Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mini Mice on the feast of St. Martin

I know I shared some Mice Cupcakes last year for the feast of St. Martin, but here is a miniature version that we plan to make this year.


St. Martin's Mini Mice Cupcakes
adapted from Fun Stuff Cupcakes

1 package (about 18 ounces) chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
1 container (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
1 cup white frosting (optional) 
Small black and pink hard candies or decors (I used red & brown mini M&M's)
Small fruit-flavored pastel candy wafers (I loved these, and thought I had some, but wasn't able to find them so I used white & brown coconut M&M's)
Black string licorice (my children will not touch black licorice, so I used red)

With all my substitutions, they didn't look nearly as cute as the picture in the book, but my children still thought they turned out cute! 

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line 48 mini (1 3/4-inch) muffin cups with paper baking cups.

2.  Prepare cake mix according to package directions.  Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling almost full.  Bake about 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean.  Cool cupcakes in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

3.  For brown mice, frost cupcakes with chocolate frosting; use knife or small spatula to pull up frosting and create fuzzy appearance.  For speckled mice, frost cupcakes with white frosting; use toothpick to add streaks of chocolate frosting.

4.  Arrange candies on one side of each cupcake to create eyes, nose and ears.  Cut licorice into 3-inch lengths; press into opposite end of cupcake to create tail.

Makes 48 mini cupcakes

Tip:  Cupcakes can be baked in advance and frozen, undecorated, in an airtight container for up to three months.   Defrost them at room temperature for several hours.   (I have some defrosting right now to decorate this afternoon after school, to enjoy while we color a picture and read a sweet picture book in honor of this saint.) 


Saint Martin de Porres, Pray for Us! 
Pin It

1 comment: