Saturday, March 19, 2016

Mudrica - St. Joseph's Sawdust


On St. Joseph's feast day in Italy, many pay tribute to the carpenter saint by sprinkling "sawdust" over pasta. There are different variations on the "sawdust" ingredients. This recipe for Mudrica (St. Joseph's Sawdust) is adapted from John Besh's My New Orleans: The Cookbook. You can read more about Mudrica in the archived St. Joseph Altar foods post by Jenn Miller.

Mudrica


Ingredients:
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 T. olive oil
3 tbsp. grated parmesan
2 tbsp. toasted pine nuts
2 tbsp. dried currants
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
pinch fresh chopped oregano leaves
pinch of salt

Directions: Put all the ingredients in food processor and pulse 4 or 5 times or until the mixture is well combined. Sprinkle over buttered pasta of choice.

St. Joseph, Most Courageous, Pray for us!

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Thank your for sharing this Mudrica recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a similar version my Mother made with saute cauliflower, olive oil, mixed well with pasta (Ronzoni Pericatelli's), then mixed the cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkled on top. Obviously I don't remember all the ingredients but I loved it. I try to replicate it but I'm not even close. This will definitely help. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used a simple mixture o bread crumbs and sugar

    ReplyDelete